This program enables students to:
- Begin or complete your foreign language requirement
- Earn up to an equivalent of 6 credit hours of Swahili language
- Enhance your language proficiency skills through total immersion
- Get hands-on exposure to East African arts and crafts
- Use Swahili language with local people on a daily basis
- Engage in cultural and educational excursions
- Take a tour of one of the local national parks
Estimated Program Cost:
Non-credit option: $5,900
FLAS* and 3 credit option: $7,900
Both options include:
- Tuition and full board accommodation
- Round-trip airfare, airport pick-up & drop off
- Administrative, fieldtrips & local transport fees
- Homestay with a host family
- Travel insurance
The program fee does not include:
Personal expenses, HU tuition, visa, passport and required immunizations costs.
* In order to fund this program, you can apply for the FLAS Fellowship. Go to FLAS page.
- January 31: Application deadline
- February 24: Acceptance Notification
- March 14: Passport and Visa processing
- April 22: Pre-departure preparations begin
- May 12: Final Payment deadline
- May 23: Sumer session I at HU begins
- June 12: Departure for East Africa
- July 24: Return to the U.S.
Program Dates & Locations:
The program will take place during Summer Session I, in Kenya from June 12 to July 24, 2022. The program will last for six weeks, with about two weeks in Nairobi and four weeks on the coast of Kenya. Students will also visit Swahili cultural sites to learn more about the target culture. Students will live in a hotel /apartment complex in Nairobi and at Pwani University in Kilifi.
Suggested Payment Schedule:
PROGRAM FEES $5900 or $7900
If you do not have a scholarship, please submit your payments to Program Coordinator in Locke Hall 350. Checks should be made payable to Howard University per each payment you make as recommended below:
- February 15: Application Fee: $250
- March 15: First payment: $2,250
- April 12: Second payment: $1,175
- May 2: Third payment: $1,175
- May 12: Final payment: $1,050
NOTE: HU TUITION: $2,940
For more information contact:
Leonard Muaka Ph.D.
Esther Lisanza Ph.D.
Department of World Languages and Cultures
Program Administration: The program is jointly administered by the Department of World Languages and Cultures, Ralph Bunche Center, and the Center for African Studies at Howard University with logistical support provided by Flight Masters. The program is limited to 12 students and will be led by Dr. Esther Lisanza, Assistant Professor, Dept. of African Studies and the Dept. of World Languages and cultures and Dr. Leonard Muaka, Associate Professor of Swahili and Linguistics, Department of World Languages and Cultures at Howard University.