The Center for African Studies offers a one-week residency at the Howard University campus to faculty at community and four-year colleges. The purpose of the residency is to build capacities in Africa-related studies at institutions that teach Africa or are contemplating developing units on Africa.
This one-week residency would enable you to:
- Interact with African Studies faculty and students
- Audit classes
- Work with our K-16 African Studies Outreach Program
- Explore library and educational resources at Howard University
Resident faculty will be required to submit a final report outlining their experience, 30 days after completion of the residency. The report should include: what you accomplished, how you will use the information gathered and any suggestions or comments.
To apply fill out the online application.
Along with the online application, you need to submit the following materials. These are to be uploaded as PDF files or Word documents within the application.
- A letter stating your interest in the Center’s residency program clarifying what you hope to gain from the experience, what resources you would like to take advantage of while at Howard, how you plan to use this experience in your teaching/research to build the capacity of Africa-related studies in your institution.
- Professional CV
- Letter of recommendation from the department head or chair